VTO with Heart – Burge Terrace Christian School
At the Gene B. Glick Company, we are committed to strengthening the quality of life and giving back to the communities we call home. As part of our corporate social responsibility (CSR) efforts, we encourage our team members to give back to their communities through volunteerism and empower them to do so through our paid volunteer time off (VTO) program. Our ‘VTO with Heart’ series highlights Glick team members using their VTO to volunteer with organizations close to their hearts.
Latoya and Ryan Benson recently volunteered at Burge Terrace Christian School where two of their children currently attend. Latoya and Ryan chose to volunteer at the school because they firmly believe in the importance of the core values taught at the school, and they also wanted to help out the teachers.
"I know that being a teacher is a very hard job at times, and it was my pleasure to help ease their day just a little bit," Latoya said.
Ryan said their children's school was looking for parent volunteers for the Annual Field Day which was themed, "A Trip Around the World." They helped run the activity stations, chaperone the transitions, and helped with set up and clean up for the day. One activity that stood out to Ryan was the Indy 500 Race where the students got to bring their bikes and compete in a grade-based mini race.
After their time volunteering with Burge Terrace Christian School, we caught up with Latoya and Ryan to learn more about how volunteering is part of their lives.
How Does Volunteering Impact Your Life?
- “It makes me feel like I am making a difference and being able to help out gives me great enlightenment on life.” – Latoya Benson
- “Giving back to our community is one of the best ways to impact youth in a positive way. Everyone may not be able to 'give back' financially to the community or a specific cause, but offering your time is free and is just as valuable.” – Ryan Benson
What Does Glick’s VTO Mean to You?
- “It means a lot! The companies that I have worked for in the past never offered paid time off work to help volunteer to an organization of your choice.” – Latoya Benson
- "Having an employer that values community and what is important to their employees is AMAZING! It's one thing for a company to 'say' that they are about community, but offering 8 hours of paid Volunteer Time Off for every employee really proves it!" – Ryan Benson
Are There Other Organizations That You Work with That You Want Others to Know About?
- “I am new to volunteering but I look forward to seeing what the future holds with other organizations. Glick has given me the opportunity now to explore other organizations that I may help volunteer for and continue to make a difference!” – Latoya Benson
- “Over the years, I have also volunteered my time to coach youth sports such as basketball, football, and soccer for various schools, churches, and organizations in my community (Far Eastside of Indianapolis). The discipline, values, and friendships gained from playing sports played a huge role in my social development from youth to adulthood, so I do my best to keep paying it forward.” – Ryan Benson
To learn more about this great organization, visit:
If you are a Glick team member and want to use your VTO to give back to your community, submit your VTO request via Paylocity. We also encourage all team members to log their volunteer time and impact on Selflessly to inspire others.